The Market

Demographically, the participants were largely representative of the EV buyer of today. The ‘innovators’ (preceding the early adopters) group typology is a middle aged, wealthy white man. Thus, it was little surprise that they were all so enthusiastic and fairly optimistic about the adoption of EVs. There were some alternate accounts of the profile of early adopters, with some suggesting that females in their 30s are more likely than males to make an early transition to electric. Of course, all profiles included individuals from an above average income bracket.

Interestingly, however, in three of the lectures that I went to the speakers asked the audience who among them drives an EV, and the response rate was never more than about 5%.

Studies have consistently shown that the overwhelming majority (usually around 90%) of consumers drive less on average per day than the range of the average EV. Many presentations took this into account. However, my own reflection is that just because one drives less on average per day, it doesn’t mean that they don’t take longer trips. I therefore think that these statistics are overstated, and suggest that people might actually put more emphasis on the maximum distance that they plan to drive rather than the average one. This could also be deduced from the studies; in that most people want public infrastructure to be widely available, even though they won’t need it (because again, they won’t drive beyond their EVs range in a day. This ‘psychological safety-net’ came up a few times, with divided opinions on how it should be addressed (i.e. by level 2 or fast charging).

For more detailed analysis of what he learned at EVS26 read Chris’s reflections on Utilities,OEMsBatteriesthe Market, and Charging Infrastructure.

Read more: The EVS26 website

A press release from the Electric Drive Transportation Association on the symposium

Photos from EVS26

All Analysis & Synthesis Posts